Tartar Horse Fairs
Tai Tsong, son of Tai Tseu
Twenty-second Dynasty MANCHU 1625
Ezra Pound The Cantos New York: New Directions, 1998. 255
Under the last Ming emperor, with decadence at court and disorder in the state, the hordes on the northern borders were uniting under the Manchu and driving back the Ming armies [...] The Manchu lord might have said that he was destroying China in order to save it, and he did ruthlessly kill and purge its corrupt elements, and impose peace and sound government. So the enemy without overcame the enemy within–the emperor himself and his mandarins being now identified with the latter–and the mandate of heaven to care for the people was assumed by the former barbarian invaders.
David Moody, Ezra Pound: Poet II: 281.
LVIII – BIBLIOGRAPHY
BOOK CHAPTERS AND SECTIONS
- Cookson, William. “Japan – Tartar Horse Fairs – Fall of the Ming Dynasty – Manchu Dynasty.” A Guide to The Cantos of Ezra Pound. London: Anvil, 2009. 88-9.
- De Rachewiltz, Mary and Maria Ardizzone. “Commento: LVIII.” Ezra Pound. I Cantos. A cura di Mary de Rachewiltz. [Bilingual English-Italian edition]. Milano: Mondadori, 1985. 1547-8.
- Fang, Achilles. “Materials for the Study of Pound’s Cantos.” 4 vols. Diss. Harvard U, 1958. Vol I: 150-6.
- Ickstadt, Heinz and Eva Hesse. “Anmerkungen und Kommentar: Canto LVIII.” Ezra Pound. Die Cantos. Tr. by Eva Hesse and Manfred Pfister. 1285-6.
- Marsh, Alec. Money and Modernity. Pound, Williams and the Spirit of Jefferson. Tuscaloosa and London: U of Alabama P, 1999. 52-4.
- Moody, David A. Ezra Pound: Poet. A Portrait of the Man and His Work. II: The Epic Years 1921-1939. Oxford & New York: Oxford University Press, 2014. 281.
- Nolde, John. Blossoms from the East. The China Cantos of Ezra Pound. Orono: National Poetry Foundation 1983. 323-54.
- Terrell, Carroll F. “Canto LVIII.” In Companion to The Cantos of Ezra Pound.” Berkeley: U of California P., 1980. I: 247-51.
- Guidi, Paolo. “Canto LVIII.” Diamond Point intaglio, selective hard ground, lift, etch, aquatint, copperplate. Printed on Arches 88 paper. Paulusvidius.tumblr.com, 28 April 2014. Free online.
- Sellar, Gordon. “More on Canto LVII and Canto LVIII.” Part 44 of 56 in the series Blogging Ezra Pound’s The Cantos. gordsellar.com, 30 December 2016. Free online.